The current Architecture studies and projects’ office, Pardal Monteiro - Architects, spawns from Architect Porfírio Pardal Monteiro’s office, foundation that dates back to the beginning of the past century, when after the disease that disabled him in September 1956 and his death in December 1957, his governmental projects were continued by one of his closest cooperators, his nephew, the Architect António Pardal Monteiro. Nowadays the office’s manager is the Architect Manuel Pardal Monteiro.

Therefore, one may mention in this Portuguese office with nearly a century of history, works such as Cais do Sodré Station, Engineering and National Statistics Institutes, Alcântara Maritime and Rocha Conde de Óbidos platforms, Nossa Senhora de Fátima Church, the Diário de Notícias Building, and other more recent ones, as the Literature and Law Universities or the Ritz and Tivoli Hotel, amongst others that already belong to the Portuguese twentieth century architecture history.

Extending to Porfírio Pardal Monteiro office’s activities, the Literature and Law Universities, Lisbon Classic University Rectory and the National Library projects stand out, which formed the transition to the António Pardal Monteiro Office in the late 50’s.

Of the transition related projects, the following must be mentioned:

When Porfírio Pardal Monteiro suffers a serious disease, in September 1956, the Universities’ work attendance responsibility is entrusted to his nephew the architect António Pardal Monteiro, who had worked in this building’s project design.

When a new program is set for the Classic University Rectory to increase its capability to more than double and for a significant space and features’ addition, António Pardal Monteiro is invited to develop a new project, which is the current Rectory.

At the architect's suggestion, Daciano Costa was made responsible for the Aula Magna’s, Main Hall’s, Senate Room’s and Rector Facilities’ interior arrangements.

In May 1953 the first studies for National Library’s new building were made, which were preceded by a visit and analysis of the adopted solutions in different European libraries, including the ones in Switzerland - Lucerne and Berne -, the Belgian Gant and Paris National and its Versailles archives. The projects and works were delayed for many years and the building’s opening only occurred in April 1969, 16 years after the first studies. Architect António Pardal Monteiro’s intervention begins with the first studies’ formulation, extended until the implementation of the project stage. After Porfírio Pardal Monteiro’s disease, all modifications and adjustments conducted in the original project are of his responsibility, as well as the work supervision until their ending.

At his suggestion, Daciano Costa was also made responsible for the General Reading Room’s,

In the period set between the late 50’s and February 1986, António Pardal Monteiro is the sole responsible for the office and author of the key projects of which the following stand out:

The National Health Institute Dr. Ricardo Jorge that in 1968, when the construction of the new facilities was decided, António Pardal Monteiro was requested to do the project’s implementation, which was preceded by a study visit to the time’s most recent European laboratories. The building was completed in 1972, and the project, followed closely by the World Health Organization Commissary’s, received an outspoken approval.

The Engineering School’s facilities extension, in Lisbon, implicated the initial building’s remodeling, respecting the initial outlines, and the new buildings designed with high complexity programs that incorporated several laboratories of the most different specialties.

Since 1978, the office benefits from the presence of Architects João Pardal Monteiro and Manuel Pardal Monteiro, who are co-responsible for the office’s guidance. In February 1986, the Pardal Monteiro Architects, Lda. company is founded, supported by, not only the two above, but also a technical and administrative team based in the Lisbon’s headquarters.

contacts

projects

atelier

history