Villa de Santa Ana - 1908 Hotel, Av. Almirante Reis - PMA
Villa de Santa Ana - Hotel 1908, Avenida Almirante Reis, Pardal Monteiro Arquitetos
Villa de Santa Ana, Hotel 1908, Avenida Almirante Reis, almirante reis, pardal monteiro, arquitetos, arquitectos
1730
portfolio_page-template-default,single,single-portfolio_page,postid-1730,language-en,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,side_area_over_content,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.4.4,vc_responsive

Villa de Santa Ana – 1908 Hotel, Av. Almirante Reis

Emblematic building of the Portuguese architecture of the early 20th century, Valmor Prize of 1908, by the architect Adães Bermudes. Its construction dates back to 1908 and its complete rehabilitation began in 2016, by the studio of Pardal Monteiro Arquitectos.

The building, today “Hotel 1908”, is one of the striking buildings of Av. Almirante Reis and is distinguished in the silhouette of the city by its semicircular body, crowned by a grandiose dome, imposing the drawer where it is located. With a triangular plant configuration, it has an equal treatment on both facades. Its exterior decorative language is characterized by eclecticism, which brings together neo-baroque elements that are evident in the dome and its adornments, as well as Arte Nova elements that are patented in polychromatic tiles, with representations of peacocks and floral motifs, in masonry and in sinuous fabric of forged irons with floral motifs and animals.

At the time of the acquisition of the building by Vila de Santa Ana Lda, it was in a state of neglect and advanced degradation, which only a timely intervention by the promoter saved it from an eminent ruin. The intervention had as premises the rehabilitation of the built heritage with integration and adaptation of the new functionality of hotel equipment. In the project, the criteria for authenticity and integrity were respected, which should assist in a rehabilitation of the built heritage, and the final impact on the image and urban setting was positive and represents an urban value added, contributing decisively to the revitalization of the area where is inserted.

This new use of the building mainly dictated interior alterations to the level of the division and modernization of the installations in order to allow the correct functionality and comfort according to the current parameters and requirements of the legislation.

In the lower floors, the solution went through the demolition of small constructions that were added over the years and the initial project was recovered, with the construction of mezzanines interconnected by stairs with the ground floor.
Regarding the exterior of the property, the rehabilitation was based on total preservation, recovering all the architectural elements of the project of the Architect Adães Bermudes, namely application of roof tiles, construction of borrowed light of the stairs and small cylindrical rammers, recovery the design of exterior window frames, the recovery of tile panels, stone masonry, forged irons and worked zinc.

Being a property of public interest and Valmor prize in the year it was built, the whole intervention was centered on the formal, constructive and artistic preservation of the building, also resorting to the original project in situations where the various works over more of a century, were distorting the building.
Rehabilitation and conservation actions were carried out using the best techniques and good practices in construction and rehabilitation, so as not to change the characteristics and particularities that were worth the classification of the Property. At the same time, all intervention actions took into consideration the maintenance and respect for the architectural, artistic, historical and cultural value.
The rehabilitation of the building is also another example of an intervention that brought new dynamics and experience to the area where it is inserted, contributing significantly to a modernization and appreciation of the city of Lisbon.

Owner:

Villa de Santa Ana – Hotelaria e Turismo lda

Location:

Av. Almirante Reis e Largo do Intendente Pina Manique

Lisbon

Construction Area:

2.211m2

Project:

2014/2015

Conclusion:

2017

Program:

Rehabilitation project of the 1909 Valmor Prize building, of the Architect Adães Bermudes, for the facilities of a hotel with 36 rooms.

Team:

Architecture

– Manuel Cottinelli Telmo Pardal Monteiro – Architect

– João Cottinelli Telmo Pardal Monteiro – Architect

– Sónia Machado Mendes – Architect

– Pedro Cunha – Architect

– Paulo Fontainha – Architect

– João Luis Rocha – Architect

– Catarina Fonseca – Architect

– Maria do Rosário Botelho de Brito – Architect

– Rodrigo Moutinho

Foundations and Structure

– Gonçalo Pardal Monteiro – Engineer

Mechanical and Gas Equipment and Installations

– João Rocha – Engineer

Water and Sewage Equipment and Installations

– Teresa Paula Santos – Engineer

Electrical and Telecommunications Equipment and Installations

– Lacerda Moreira – Engineer

Safety and Fire Protection

– António Portugal – Architect

– Paulo Cardoso – Engineer

Acoustic Conditioning

– Hugo Leitão – Engineer

Decoration

– Marta Faustino – Author

 

Category

HOTELS, REHABILITATION AND RESTORATION