In the early seventies, as a result of the school population’s increase and of the higher focus on scientific research, the Instituto Superior Técnico’s facilities started to become insufficient and improper for both a new teaching philosophy and for the new responsibilities. The idea that the Institute, in order to function, lacked a globally thought out remodel and expansion was quickly set.
The Master Plan, as presented in 1982, specifies an action course based on:
– The new building’s occupation of the area located between the inner path West side of the Central Pavilion and Alves Redol Street, continuing the initial idea and in order to not interfere with the projects related to the Central Lane, provided that these new buildings did not exceed the Central Pavilion’s height.
– Intervention in the buildings raised in the north, by the Electricity and Mechanics’ Departments, and, in the South, by the Chemistry and Mine’s Departments in order to transform them into a single building connected by a central element occupying its inner spaces, from which high elements would clearly stand out from the basis and merely connected to them by downright circulation columns.
– Adjustment in the occupation of the existing internal pavilions, fully respecting the original design, covering the facades’ preservation and also its unquestionable heritage valued parts, with special relevance to the vestibular areas and passageways, the Main Hall and Central Pavilion Meeting Room.
– Possible creation of other small buildings, attempting to not interfere, with either the Central Lane prospects, or with the existent architectonic characteristics.
Technical Superior Institute ,Lisbon´s Technical University
School Constructions’ Managing Board
Afonso Henriques’ Lane
Facilities’ improvement and expansion overall study – Master Plan.
With this study, approved in 1983, the school operation conditions were analyzed, as well as the predictable direction of the education philosophy development, setting up its improvement and expansion guiding parameters.
– António Pedro Batista Pardal Monteiro – Architect
– Manuel Pardal Monteiro Magalhães Architect
– Manuel Cottinelli Telmo Pardal Monteiro – Architect
– João Cottinelli Telmo Pardal Monteiro – Architect
– Amadeu Lourenço
– Rodrigo Moutinho