Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal - Lisboa - PMA
769
portfolio_page-template-default,single,single-portfolio_page,postid-769,language-en,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,side_area_over_content,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.4.4,vc_responsive

Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal – Lisboa

The National Library building was inaugurated in 1969. However, the project’s first studies, of Porfírio Pardal Monteiro’s responsibility, date of 1953. Until his decease in 1957, he made the studies in close cooperation with António Pardal Monteiro, who continued them, being responsible for the project’s execution and assistance provided to the construction.

The designer team’s accomplished knowledge of the main European libraries was applied in the building’s conception, basing on the most recent concepts, representing a solution, on all levels, remarkable in the national and European library scenario, where the connection between several services remains valid after three decades of operation.

With a total gross area of 44.22m², which provides a deposit capability of over one million books, housed in a single edification element incorporating ten floors, one General Reading Room for 250 readers, and rooms for special readings, Periodic, Reserved and Manuscripts, Cartography, Iconography and Music, as well as internal services for cataloging, legal deposit, international exchange, blind people, workshops, etc., allowed, to the current day, an activity that was only recently, with the computer resources and the need for a increased deposit capability, questioned.

The interiors of the Reading Room, References’ Room (Catalog), Amphitheatre and Bar are also designed by Architect António Pardal Monteiro with the Designer Daciano Costa’ cooperation.

 

Owner:

Direcção Geral de Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais

Location:

Campo Grande

Lisbon

Construction Area:

44.200m²

Project:

1955

Conclusion:

1969

Program:

Building with a deposit capability of over one million books, housed in a single edification element incorporating ten floors, one General Reading Room for 250 readers, and rooms for special readings, Periodic, Reserved and Manuscripts, Cartography, Iconography and Music, as well as internal services for cataloging, legal deposit, international exchange, blind people, workshops, etc.

Team:

Architecture

– António Pedro Batista Pardal Monteiro – Architect, incorporating Architect Porfírio Pardal Monteiro’s team

Interior Architecture

– Daciano Costa – designer

Foundations and Structure

– Pedro Kopke Pardal Monteiro – Engineer

Mechanical Equipment and Facilities

– Electroconsul

Water and Sewage Equipment and Facilities

– Electroconsul

Electrical and Telecommunications Equipment and Facilities

– Electroconsul

Landscaping

– António Viana Barreto – Landscape Architect

Category

EDUCATION, CULTURE AND INVESTIGATION