University of Lisbon Rectory Building - PMA
1565
portfolio_page-template-default,single,single-portfolio_page,postid-1565,language-en,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,side_area_over_content,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.4.4,vc_responsive

University of Lisbon Rectory Building

The first execution Project of the Rectory building, architect Porfírio Pardal Monteiro’s responsibility, was delivered in mid 1956, presenting a different configuration from the current one, emphasizing the fact that Aula Magna was, then, intended to an exceeding capability of 800 seats, instead of the current 1500, and that its side elements are restricted to the ground floor.

The Professor Victor Hugo de Lemos, as Dean, summoned architect António Pardal Monteiro, in the quality of architect Porfírio Pardal Monteiro’s main collaborator, for a meeting in which he transmitted the reflections that the presented project for the Rectory’s building evoked, including that he considered the Aula Magna capacity extremely small, proposing its increase up to 1800 seats, contemplating, however, the possibility of subdivision, for the situations in which that capacity revealed itself excessive.

Basing on this new programmatic information studies were developed, that were finalized, merely on account of the Dean’s death.

Once Professor Marcelo Caetano took control, the studies’ progress of the Rectory building continued, with the Professor’s reformulation of the facilities program, that respected his predecessor’s ambitions, adding a new set of facilities including the ones intended for the Dean, encompassing his office, reception and waiting rooms and a private meals’ room, as well as the creation of a new amphitheater intended to major acts, with a capability of about 200 people, being the latter an alternative to Aula Magna subdivision hypothesis.

These additions to the previous program caused an increase in the construction’s volume, allowing for a strong presence in the Aula Magna, also permitting the creation of new floors in the side elements.

In what concerns to the initial design, created by Porfírio Pardal Monteiro, the general part was kept, namely the building’s façade, on top of the University’s Square.

All the elements located beyond this façade were completely reshaped presenting proportions higher than the outlined before.

The new project, of António Pardal Monteiro’s completely accountability, was developed quite fast, thanks to an incisive and frequent dialogue between the architect and the Dean.

Given the unquestioned visibility intended for the building, on the architect’s suggestion, the “designer” Daciano Costa was integrated in the designer’s team, being responsible for the interior arrangement of the most importance chambers (Aula Magna, Main Hall, Senate’s Room and the Rector’s facilities).

Owner:

Ministério das Obras Públicas – C.A.N.I.U.

Location:

Cidade Universitária

Lisbon

Construction Area:

11.600m²

Project:

1958/59

Concusion:

1958

Inauguration – 1961

Program:

Building intended for the Lisbon’s University Rectory, based on the second program, encompassing Aula Magna with 1800 seats, and the creation of a Major Acts Room, for around 200 seats. Senate’s Room, Rector’s offices and other facilities and services.

Team:

Architecture

Project’s Author: António Pedro Batista Pardal Monteiro

Initial Project’s Author: Arquitecto Porfírio Pardal Monteiro

Interior Architecture

Daciano Costa – Designer

Foundations and Structure

– Marecos – Engineer

Mechanical Equipment and Facilities

– Camacho Simões – Engineer

Water and Sewage Equipment and Facilities

– Camacho Simões – Engineer

Electrical and Telecommunications Equipment and Facilities

– Camacho Simões – Engineer

Acoustics

– Manuel Bivar – Engineer

Category

EDUCATION, CULTURE AND INVESTIGATION