IST - South Block - PMA
1470
portfolio_page-template-default,single,single-portfolio_page,postid-1470,language-en,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,side_area_over_content,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.4.4,vc_responsive

IST – South Block

South Block – Chemical Enginnering Department 
Superior Technical Institute of the University of Lisbon

 

The Master Plan for the IST facilities’ Improvement and Expansion, considered the construction of several new buildings, being of relevance the Civil Engineering Pavilion, the “North Block”, located between the Electricity and Mechanics Pavilions, the “Science Building” and the “Post Graduation Building”, constructed in the meantime, and the earmarked Chemistry Department’s expansion – South Block, between the Chemistry Engineering and Mines and Metallurgy Engineering Pavilions.

Such a construction was intended for the rearrangement of the group of services in the chemistry department, covering the existent and the new, in a global perspective.

Regarding the symmetry with the North Block (1993), an action line, supported by the following parameters, was designed:

– Use of the large spaces, with a raised high ceiling, from the existent building and from the floors of the new one, so that they would incorporate the facilities for a large number of students and also for the laboratories that required a large high ceiling.

– Locate, on the higher floors, the new offices for teachers and students, small classes and, mainly, small laboratories.

The laboratory facilities’ are composed by cells (clusters) in which one of them is composed by graduation laboratories, post graduation, researching and support, offices and meeting rooms, in a total of 600m² each.

As a whole, the building has a total floor area of about 7.100m², for the following facilities:

Laboratories: 3.800 m²

Amphitheatres, Classrooms and Offices: 1.670 m²

Library, administrative services and cafeteria: 480m²

Storehouses and factories: 250 m²

The project for the laboratory’s facilities and equipments, covering furniture (laboratory benches), hottes and other equipment was developed in 2000/01, being the installation work completed in 2002.´

Owner:

Instituto Superior Técnico

Universidade Técnica de Lisboa

Location:

Afonso Henriques’s Lane

Lisbon

Construction Area:

13.700m²

Project:

1996/97

Conclusion:

2002

Program:

Overall Project of a building constructed in the IST’s enclosure, between the Chemistry and Mines Engineering Pavilions, intended for research and teaching, and aiming, mainly, towards the creation of new laboratory facilities, for the Chemistry Department.

Team:

Architecture

– Manuel Cottinelli Telmo Pardal Monteiro – Architect

– João Cottinelli Telmo Pardal Monteiro – Architect

– António Pedro Batista Pardal Monteiro – Architect

– Paulo Vasco Silva Antunes – Architect

– Vera Nicolau – Architect

– Maria João Garrudo – Designer

– Susana Duarte Raposo – Architect

– Amadeu Lourenço

– Rodrigo Moutinho

Foundations and Structure

– Paulo Reis – Engineer

Mechanical Equipment and Facilities

– Teprol

Water and Sewage Equipment and Facilities

– Miguel Azevedo Coutinho – Engineer

Electrical Equipment and Facilities

– Teprol

Safety and Fire Protection

– António Portugal – Architect

Centralized Technical Management

– Teprol

Category

EDUCATION, CULTURE AND INVESTIGATION